April 13-17


 Learning Intention: 

Students examine roles, responsibilities, and self-regulation and their connections to self-understanding

I Can:
- examine ways that individuals can positively contribute to communities
- explore how the roles and responsibilities of people, land, and animals contribute positively to community well-being.
- describe strategies that support self-regulation.
-practise a variety of self-regulation strategies

                                           

We were excited to welcome author Angela Murphy to our school, where she shared her heartwarming book Listen Up, Wonder Pup with our Grade 2 students. The visit brought the story to life as students listened with enthusiasm and curiosity. After the reading, they had the opportunity to ask questions about Angela’s real-life Wonder Pups, Draper and Zane, and to learn more about what it’s like to be an author. It was an inspiring experience that sparked imagination and excitement for reading and writing among our young learners.

Some questions from the students and answers from Angela Murphy:

Q: How long does it take for you to write a book?
A: Speak Up Wonder Pup took about 4 months but I had the idea in my brain for about 12 years. My other books take about 6 months to a year from having an idea, writing, editing, and getting the pictures done. 

Q: Does Draper actually teach Zane things?
A: Yes, he teaches Zane things like sitting for treats and he taught him how to jump off the dock into the water.

Q: Have you ever messed up a story and had to start all over again?
A: Yes! A lot! I write my ideas and I edit them over and over again. It's my least favourite part but it is one of the most important parts of writing. When I wrote Listen Up Wonder Pup, I made 27 changes!

Q: Are Draper and Zane actually brothers?
A: They are adopted brothers but they aren't biological brothers.

Q: Are you going to write any more books?
A: I'm working on a book right now! Book #8 in the Wonder Pup series is called, Heart Up Wonder Pup. It will be coming out in the fall.