| Because, But, So - The Writing Revolution |
Learning Intention:
- students create and enhance ideas and information by applying a variety of writing processes
I Can:
- generate ideas that can be expressed through messages
- focus and limit the number of ideas in sentences
- apply creative thinking to create or adapt representations of messages
This year, students have been working hard building important sentence writing skills by learning how to express their ideas clearly using complete sentences. They practice writing simple, compound sentences using correct word order, capital letters at the beginning, and proper punctuation such as periods, question marks, and exclamation points at the end. We have also focused on expanding our sentences by using descriptive words and including important details. We are learning how adding words like because, but, and so helps improve our sentences by making our ideas clearer and more interesting. These words help connect our thoughts and show how ideas are related. For example, because helps explain a reason (“I wore boots because it was raining”), but shows a contrast (“I wanted to play outside, but it was too cold”), and so explains a result or cause and effect (“I finished my work, so I read a book”). When we use these connecting words, our sentences become longer, more detailed, and easier for the reader to understand.
Here are some student examples from our 'because, but, so' work that we did this week -
- The waves splashed onto the shore because a very big storm was rolling in!
- The waves splashed onto the shore but went back to get lost in the ocean.
- The waves splashed onto the shore so everyone got a shower!
- The kids were cheering because their team won the game!
- The kids were cheering but the teacher said they were too loud.
- The kids were cheering so the adults started cheering too.
- The cat was meowing because he was looking out the window and saw a bird.
- The cat was meowing but the owner noticed the cat was meowing differently.
- The cat was meowing so I took him out for a walk.